The dictionary definition of physics is “the study of matter, energy, and the interaction between them”, but what that really means is that physics is about asking fundamental questions and trying to answer them by observing and experimenting.
Physicists ask really big questions like:
- How did the universe begin?
- How will the universe change in the future?
- How does the Sun keep on shining?
- What are the basic building blocks of matter?
If you think these questions are fascinating, then you’ll like physics.
Physics doesn’t just deal with theoretical concepts. It’s applied in every sphere of human activity, including:
- Development of sustainable forms of energy production
- Treating cancer, through radiotherapy, and diagnosing illness through various types of imaging, all based on physics.
- Developing computer games
- Design and manufacture of sports equipment
- Understanding and predicting earthquakes
…in fact, pretty much every sector you can think of needs people with physics knowledge. -physics.org